Is Android Dead…

Is the End near, or will it be a near miss?

Yes you read the title correctly, is the beloved little green “Bot” known as Android headed to the scrap heap to be recycled like yesterdays soda cans?   Well for starters it’s clear that  89% of all tablet traffic is from the venerable Cupertino darling’s iOS  based iPad leaving  a meager 11% for all others if you will, so what does that mean?  Yes in short that Android 3 (Honeycomb) and all this want to be iPad killing hardware that vendor’s where trash talking about in 2010 turned out to be just that, trash. As here we are in 2011 and the king of the hill is “still” yes the iPad and its even a deuce this time around to add insult to the injured little robots ego, however is he really on his way out the door?

My bet is it’s a good possibility as while you say, “hey look there is far more than tablets only” as what about the phone sales? To that my response is “yea so”, as while the world will be made by the “handset” however this is also what will kill the little green guy at the end of the day.  Bold words yes, however so far it’s only been a two horse town and pretty much Google has given away the Android code so its almost akin to when my mother would tie a steak around my neck to get the dog to play with me as hey you have Apple, then everyone else.  Oops that only leaves Android doesn’t it, and you Black Berry pundits out there, your phone only does one thing and that’s get mail.  Other than that, there is no useable value as a smart phone and RIM needs to wake up sell an iPhone App and get out of the handset business.

By the way RIM, here is a question for you, if all you do is mail (which you do, do well) how is it your tablet doesn’t do mail?  I’m also wondering (aloud in this case) if the joker that came up with that brain fart is still employed.    So with all of this said and PlayBooks filling up landfill space, our two pony town is about to get a makeover by yet another Cupertino giant (HP) and our friends in Redmond.  While skeptical that our friends in Redmond can pull off a comeback and why did you pay all that money for Skype?  The HP offering might rattle some windows in the glass hallowed halls of Apple as someone else at least seems to have figured out Apple’s secret sauce.  As they are building a hardware platform matched to the operating software (WebOS)  and controlling the app store to ensure the user experience as well as expanding it beyond the mobile device.

You see in simple terms Apple is “something to many people” and not “many things to a few people” as in Android, and why do I say this?  First it’s all the different hardware platforms it runs on and at first blush many would say that’s what makes it great!  The issue is without linkage to the hardware the user experience both in abilities and performance is severely hampered.   While the Obama Care Death Panels may still be deliberating about our little green friend, keep an eye to HP as they need a win and they just might have it…

Advertisements

About Joseph Campbell

As a strong believer in the fact that "people work for people", it has been a life driver to better to understand the complexities of the various aspects which drive efficiency within this axiom, especially the concepts of leadership. Supporting this, I have been fortunate enough to having experienced this as leader on a global basis over the last decade and half. During this time it has been clear there are three core drivers being Life, Leadership and Economics.
This entry was posted in Life... and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s